Alejandro Werner assumed his current position as Director of the Western Hemisphere Department of the International Monetary Fund in January 2013. A Mexican citizen, Mr. Werner has had distinguished careers in the public and private sectors as well as in academia. Most recently, he served as Undersecretary of Finance and Public Credit of Mexico from December 2006 until August 2010; was Professor of Economics at the Instituto de Empresa in Madrid Spain from August 2010 until July 2011, and Head of Corporate and Investment banking at BBVA-Bancomer from August 2011 until end-2012.
Previously he was Director of Economic Studies at the Bank of Mexico and professor at ITAM. He has published widely. Mr. Werner was named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum in 2007. Mr. Werner received his Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1994.
- Outlook for Latin America and the Caribbean: A Stalling Recovery
- Latin America and the Caribbean in 2019: A Moderate Expansion
- Outlook for the Americas: A Tougher Recovery
- Latin America and the Caribbean in 2018: An Economic Recovery in the Making
- Corruption in Latin America: A Way Forward
- Corruption in Latin America: Taking Stock
- Latest Outlook for The Americas: Back on Cruise Control, But Stuck in Low Gear
- Navigating Through Global Cross Currents: Latest Outlook for Latin America and the Caribbean
- In Transition: The Outlook for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Latin America and the Caribbean in 2016: Adjusting to a Harsher Reality
- Uncertain Times, Difficult Choices
- A Watershed Moment for Latin America: Nine Takeaways from our High-Level Conference
- Northern Spring, Southern Chills: Outlook for Latin America and the Caribbean
- (Yet) Another Year of Subpar Growth: Latin America and the Caribbean in 2015
- The Outlook for Latin America and the Caribbean in 2014
- U.S. Monetary Policy and Its Effects on Latin America
- Fiscal Policy in Latin America: Prudence Today Means Prosperity Tomorrow
- Cloudy With a Chance of Rain—Outlook for Latin America and the Caribbean
- After a Golden Decade, Can Latin America Keep Its Luster?